10.20.2008

Bike stuff that I can't live without.

Full disclosure: I can, technically, live without this stuff. But I wouldn't want to. Don't deprive yourself. I ride every day. I know what I'm talking about.

My favorite bike accessory, and one that I have recommended to all of my friends and family is the Planet Bike Blinky Super Flash 1/2-Watt Blaze LED Plus 2 eXtreme LED Rear Bicycle Light. It is, without a doubt, the brightest blinkie out there. I have two. Blind people squint at these things. If a car hits you from behind while you're using one of these, it was aiming for you. It's also available in a Planet Bike 3040 Superflash Tail Light and Blaze Headlight Light Set with a damn decent headlight. You could spend less and get a dim, crappy blinkie but that would make you an idiot.

My next favorite bike item is the Eco Friendly Polar Insulated BLUE 24 oz Water Bottle-Made in the USA-PBA Free. It keeps your drinks cool WAY better than regular water bottles. If I fill it with ice water, before I leave the house for work, it's still icy cold at lunch time. Ever had a blended margarita after a long ride? You're missing out. Get one.

Next on my list of faves is the Delta Airzound Bike Horn. It's loud. Like, keep away from children loud. Drivers will pull over for you if you blow this behind them. Dogs will whimper three blocks away. You need it.

This one is an oldie but goodie. Carmex Original Lip Balm Click Stick 0.15 oz / 2 count. This stuff is saved my life. Twice.

Watches aren't technically bike gear, but they do let you know if you're late for work (and thus, need to ride faster). I love, love, love my Casio Men's Classic Black Digital Watch #F91W-1. My grandpa had one. I've rocked this watch since I was 9. I bought one for my 4 year old nephew and he likes it too. It's small enough that you barely notice it, but it's easy to read and has retro charm. And it's eleven bucks. Duh. Buy two. Or ten.

The last thing that jumps to mind at the moment is the AeroPress Coffee Maker with Bonus 350 Micro Filters. Starbucks sucks. Seriously. Honestly, it's aweful. This bad boy makes a damned respectable pseudo espresso and the whole thing only costs as much as two vente quad soy pumpkin spice lattes with no foam. Buy one for yourself and one for your riding buddy, that way you're both good to go.

12 comments:

Mama Fabun said...

Olly's wearing his Casio right now. By the way, he's 2.

Ed W said...

Take a look at the classic Bialetti coffee maker, the Moka. It's been around since WW1 and is basically unchanged.

http://www.bialetti.com/BialettiUSA.htm

Dr. Logan said...

ed, i have one. i dig it too.

Dr. Logan said...

honor, you and your attention to detail. psh.

Ed W said...

I should have known. Somehow, those of us attracted to obsolete old bicycles seem to be attracted to other shiny old devices too.

I wrote a piece for the Red Dirt Pedalers that will be on CycleDog after the newsletter publishes in a few days. It details my addiction to the bean.

Dr. Logan said...

I'll be sure to read it!

Yokota Fritz said...

Good list, though I disagree about the Air Zounds. I had for a while and discovered I only used it to communicate my disgust at motorists *after* the danger had passed. The motorist, who has no idea of his transgression, just scratches his head, and the cyclist is left as frustrated as ever.

So kinda fun for a while, but in the end it's only a can of bad vibes with no real utility.

chiggins said...

I just yanked my Airzounds as well. Besides the above phenomenon Mr. Fritz mentioned above, which matches my experience, I've got toddlers and they love punchin' it in the house.

I still like 'em, just haven't figured out what their new vocation is.

Dr. Logan said...

Fritz, I digress, it's not 100% effective, but until they make one that yells "USE YOUR FREAKING SIGNAL" this will have to suffice.

Ed W said...

The human voice is so much more expressive than a horn. You can question a driver's masculinity, sexual orientation, intelligence, or paternity while delivering a big, wide smile. You can use language that could blister paint while waving at a nun. They can't hear us any better than we can hear them, so the smile and wave mollifies the situation while your sarcasm allows you to vent. Really. It's the best of both worlds.

Dr. Logan said...

ed - that's hilarious. and true.

Ed W said...

Doc, the coffee piece is up on CycleDog.