8.01.2007

the dream.


I had a dream last night that I was stuck at the top of a very tall tree. I remember thinking it must be at least 50 feet tall. I had a rope that was tied to the tree, but it was thin and I was afraid I might not be able to hold on to it were I to swing from my perch and attempt to climb down. My friends were at the base of the tree, and they were calling to me to hurry down, but I just made a few false starts, got more scared and just sat there in the relative safety of the tree thinking about the best way to get down. One by one my friends got tired of waiting and wandered away...

Basically, this dream is a spot-on metaphor for my life right now. I'm in a position (professionally and personally) that is pretty comfy, but not at all sustainable (think: really bad healthcare, LOW salary, monogamous but not engaged or married, etc.). I've looked into MANY options that are available to me such as more schooling, trade jobs, military (ugh), and even more risky paths such as entrepreneurship and prostitution (no healthcare either way), but somehow nothing has fit well enough for me to drop it all and make it happen. My friends and family have been patient over all, but I know that many of them are wondering when I'm going to get my shit together. I'm sure my long-term girlfriend would like a ring and babies some day and I know my parents wouldn't mind getting a return on their investment (kids cost like a million buck growing up don't they?). So here's the thing: starting tomorrow, I'm getting serious. This might mean lags in blogging, but it should also mean that the posts I do make will chronicle my rise to greatness, or at the very least, rise from mediocrity. Should be good so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bread is an excellent start.

"USDA REPORT ESTIMATES CHILD BORN IN 1999 WILL COST $160,140 TO RAISE

"WASHINGTON, April 27, 2000 Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman today
released a new report finding that a family with a child born in 1999 can
expect to spend about $160,140 ($237,000 when adjusted for inflation) for
food, shelter, and other necessities to raise that child over the next
seventeen years."

You're in front of this curve, and these are outdated numbers, but I don't think your parents are expecting a MILLION dollars. That'd be nice, though.
-You know who this is.

HappyRelations said...

NO MILITARY!!!