2.25.2007

Nerds are fun!!!



The top picture is of me filming an impromtu jam session and the bottom picture is one I took of Buzz Aldrin during his keynote address. I was in Los Angeles last week working as videographer/editor for PCB007, a printed circuit board industry news zine. We were covering the IPC Expo/APEX and Designers' summit at the convention center. The show was enormous and our schedule was exhausting; I personally worked an average of 15 hours a day and I was barely pulling my own weight. Some of the highlights of the show were keynote speakers such as Buzz Aldrin and the "Mythbusters" Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, as well as a gala at the Calfornia Science Center complete with gogo dancers. Oh, and Stormtroopers. Nerds like Star Wars, who knew? It was a big event. It struck me many times this week that I've never even considered who makes those little green plastic cards that are in all of our electronics and yet there's a whole subculture of people who's life-blood is spent toiling over every detail of them. There were freebies too. Tons of them. I scored a sweet commuter mug and a messenger bag. Oh, and tons of pens.

No comments: