5.07.2007

Heraclitus and Bocce Ball




"Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play." These are the all too true words of Heraclitus, the Western World's first great philosopher. And that is why I strive to achieve that seriousness by acting like a child daily. My dad's birthday party was yesterday. Honor and Aaron, Olly and Zay came up to the house with a cake. Mom and I made hummus, falafel, cucumber spread, spinach dip (with Aaron's home-made sourdough) and pita bread and Max sliced up some veggies. Then we all gorged before heading out side. The gals and Olly took over the hammock and cheered on the guys while we played Bocce ball, my new favorite sport. That lasted for a few dozen games before Isaiah accidentaly launched a bocce ball directly into Aaron's forehead, which put an end to the game. Then today I went to Max's soccer practice for a parents vs. the team soccer game. I was the stand-in parent. I took over goalie at mid-way through the game and they never scored on me, but the damage was done and we lost 2-1. I was pretty wiped by the time I got home. Ride to work - work 8 hours - ride to Max's soccer thing - play for a couple hours - ride home... So I took a shower and Max and I went to the new pizza place around the corner from our house. It was pretty tasty after all that work. Life is good.

No comments: