5.13.2007

Today was a __________ day.

I had a bad day at work. The coffee shop I work for is in the middle of a coupon blitzkrieg, presumably to increase the bankability of our brand and our sales numbers to prepare for the impending IPO (yes, we're going public). One of the coupons is for a free $10 gift card, and there are others for free drinks with no purchase needed. As such, we are SWAMPED! All day, everyday. Record numbers for weeks. What this translates to for employees is a lot more work. I got out of work an hour and a half late today, tired and reaking of coffee. I yanked my apron off, threw my sunglasses on my head and hit the road. My mom had mentioned that she wanted a rice cooker, so I went in search of one for mother's day. Because I had to work late, there was only one store open that carries them; a store that I HATE going to. It's crowded, the people are aliens, and they engage in all manner of morally-questionable business practices. We'll call it Hellmart. As I was walked towards the door of Hellmart, dodging a half-dozen beggers and ne'er-do-wells, I walked in front of a slow-moving, lowered, shiny car full of shady looking black youth. As they passed, someone rolled down the limo-tinted back window to yell, "faggot". I ignored them and walked intothe store while considering the comment. Why would they say that to me? Then it struck me that I was wearing a black polo with the collar popped (from removing the apron), sunglasses on the top of my head and a goatee (my facial hair changes incarnations almost weekly) that together, probably do make me look like a dork. I fixed my collar, stuck my glasses in my pocket and finished my shopping, laughing to myself. The Buddha once said, "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone else, you are the one who gets burned."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour, Logan !

Comment ça va ?

Alors, tu es un bon écrivain. Oui, c'est vrai !

--Ta mère--

Mama Fabun said...

Well, Zay still thinks you're "a really nice man."